Tuesday 29 March 2011

A new season!

On the 5th March 2011 I had my first race of the season at Darley Moor Racing Circuit, Derbyshire. It was a wet, cold and windy day in the saddle. The first race of the season as far as youths are concerned, and about 30 youths lined up for the event.   
Throughout the race there were attacks coming from everywhere, as it always is in the first race of the year. On this circuit no one would get away not on our youth gears, and I knew it would come down to a bunch sprint.  
With a lap to go I was in 3rd wheel just siting and waiting. At the far end of the circuit there was a crash spliting the field in two,leaving 3 riders on the ground. Coming down to the last corner the new 3-in-1 youth team managed to get a lead out train going (ideal for me!). Just before the corner I managed to break up the line and bumped into second wheel.   
The final straight was about 500m long with a chicane with about 100m to go,and with the rain and the strong cross wind it was a gruesome finish. With about 400m to go I was still second wheel, I knew I had to be into that chicane first if I was going to win the race. BANG  I opened up my sprint.. through the chicane... past my dad... and raised my arm for the victory!! It was a great first race and I really enjoyed getting the first race of the season under my belt!


On the 12th March was Round 1 of the Cycling Development North West Youth League, which has 7 Rounds including 5 road events, 1 Mountain bike and 1 Cyclo-cross.Also this was a selection event for the North West Team for the Isle of Man Youth International Tour. It was a Dull day down at Southport, and an early start too! This race was a bit different because I had my friend from school with me, who wanted to give racing a shot! There were 2 races on the day one 5 lap race and one 30 lap race. Some of the best riders in the country turned up including National Trophy Cyclo-cross Champion Jake Womersley. 
The 5 lap race got under way, the weather conditions weren't great so I knew I had to position myself in the first 4. On the first lap winner of 3 National series events last year, Chris Lawless hit the deck, splitting the group. Unfortunately when Chris crashed he was second wheel behind Jake Womersley which allowed Wombat to go up the road. With Wombat up the road, it was left to me and a group of 9 to chase. Due to a narrow and short circuit on the last lap the race split to bits and allowed Jake Womersley to get a well earned victory. I finished 9th.
The second race of the day was a better race for me as I was consistently in the first 3 throughout the race. The legs felt great and I was closing down moves which I didn't need to close down. With 3 laps to go Jake Womersley put in a hard attack. And due to my 'panic racing' (quoted by British Cycling Coach, Tim Buckle), I put my self in the red and completely blew and had to just ride round to finish the race! In the end it was Ollie Wood who took the victory from fellow Yorkshireman Jacob Scott. I finished 8th.


On the 26th March was the Terry Dolan Youth Series (an event I've won 2 times in the past!), for this race I would be defending Champion because I won it last year. This was also the second selection event for the North West Team for the Isle of Man International Youth Tour. On the first lap the best rider in the Country, Chris Lawless attacked, opening a large gap. Throughout the duration of the race, no one was to catch the mini Fabian Cancellara, on a tight course right on the seafront. Having learnt my lesson from 2 weeks ago, I composed myself and followed the counter attacks, not touching the front. With 2 laps to go I moved up the field to 3rd wheel, I knew I was definatly sprinting for second. With a lap to go Lawless' fellow Talent Team Mate, Luc Hall attacked, leaving two 3-in-1 riders to chase him down. Coming into the last corner I was 4th wheel behind Fabio Close (3-in-1). Just before we hit the corner Fabio opened his sprint, not knowing I was on his wheel. Through the race I worked out that it was a head wind finish and if I were to be in a bunch sprint I had to leave my kick late. This is what I did, with about 50 meters to go I kicked and piped Fabio on the Line for 2nd.


No comments:

Post a Comment