Friday 15 April 2011

A week in the life of a na nog!

This week was a very eventful week for me!
After a great weekend over in Ireland, on Monday I had a chilled day and had a sleep in! Partly due to the fact that we got home at 4:45 in the morning! But my Dad still went to work at 8, even on one hour of sleep! I'm off school for the next two weeks on my Easter holidays, which is good as I can get two training sessions done in a day!
After having a rest on Monday, I was raring to get back on the bike! On Tuesday morning I got my kit on and went round Coniston water for a steady two hours. It was a lovely day but thinking like a athlete and looking after my body, it was still a day for the Gore leg warmers! On Tuesday evening I raced at Salt Ayre in Lancaster, which was the first round of the league. On the night there was only a senior race, but the youth races will start on 12th April. This was good because I could still race the seniors, as I have my dispensation licence. Also it was good because my friend from school, George Walker came with us to try out the racing! In the race there was the usual early attack from Matt Jones, but after he was brought back the race settled down for a bit. The race was fairly dominated by team Wallis at the front but it was clear the three lads from Herbalife Wheelbase, Sam Jackson, Tom Armstrong and I, were not going down without a fight. In the last quarter of the race Tom Armstrong  tried to break off the front of the bunch but unfortunately, I'm guessing still suffering from after affects of a cold, couldn't quite get away. With about 15 minutes of the race left two riders broke off the front and there was no reaction from the bunch. But as riders kept attacking and trying to bridge the gap by themselves, the gap was closing. With two laps to go Sam Jackson tried to get off the front on his own, but due to the race having two laps left, no one would let him go. With a lap to Matt Jones the early attacker, put in a big effort to bring back the break and on the last corner as I was about 9th wheel, we caught the two breakaway partners! In the sprint on 52'16 I managed to get 5th position! I think with better positioning I could get a top 3!

On Wednesday Me and my Dad woke up early to get ready for a Cycling Weekly ride with Chris Sidwells. The Cycling Weekly ride is organised by Chris Sidwells which gives an opportunity for amateur and continental riders to show their favourite training rides. (Also great for the sponsors!) We met Chris at 9:30am in a car park in Ulverston Town, and then headed off to the start point of the ride, the Cumbrian Way. It was a very wet and cold day, which meant lots of Gore and Bioracer kit! On the ride we were going round Coniston Lake, mine and my Dads favourite rider, which I have done since I was ten years old. This gave lots of photo opportunities for Chris! After the ride we went back to our house where Chris interviewed me and Dad. 'I'm not telling too much, as you will find out in May sometime, when the article will be published!
On Thursday it was another wet day, but as a cyclist you've got to have that spark of passion to drive you through! At 10am I got my Kit on and met my friend George Walker and headed off into the cold! We ended up going round the east side of Coniston, up Hawks head Hill, down to Hawks head and then up Moor top Hill up to Grizedale and back. This rounds off about a 4 hour round trip.
Today I have had a rest day. Seen my mum and Sister and done some major revision for my GCSE's which I will be taking when I get back to School!
Tomorrow I will do a steady 1 hour ride with a couple of sprints to open up the lungs and legs, and then meet at Wheelbase to travel  in the team car down to Peterborough for the Rutland Cycle Classic on Sunday. There is a Youth Race which is a selection event for the European Youth Olympics Team, which I will be riding and then in the afternoon it is the famous UCI Rutland Race for the Elites! Good Luck to the Herbalife Wheelbase Guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment