Wednesday 22 August 2012

European Championships 2012

On Friday 20th July I travelled to the Netherlands for a 3 and a half week camp in Zeeland to compete for Ireland in the the European Road Race Championships.


Before I caught my flight from Liverpool, my Dad and I went to the CNP factory in Manchester for a photo shoot. The photo from the shoot was to go on the CNP website to promote cycling from Junior to Professional level. I had a great morning meeting some of the staff and collecting more CNP products. I would like to say a huge thank you for all their support and I hope they liked the jersey! Here is the link to the website http://www.cnpprofessional.co.uk/sports-advice/advice-cycling.html/



After leaving the factory we set off to Liverpool Airport to meet Ryan Mullen who I was flying out with. As he is also on the Irish development squad but lives in the Uk. We had a coffee in costa and then I said my good byes to my Dad. The flight wasn't too long only an hour. Once we arrived at Amsterdam Airport we met up with my mate Paddy Fitzsimmons, who had helped my Mountivation team at the Junior Tour of Ireland just a week before. Paddy came to pick us up and take us back to the place where we were stopping in Zeeland. Paddy had volunteered to help Cycling Ireland to help us over in the Netherlands, what a great man. Once we arrived at our bungalow in Zeeland, my self, Paddy and Ryan went to meet the others and get some food. Once we had eaten it was time for our first meeting held by manager Frank O'Leary. In it he explained exactly what we would be doing over the course of the 3 and a half week camp. We would be racing every Wednesday and Sunday in kermesses in both Holland and Belgium. In-between them we would be training, mostly around the Europeans Road Race course to familiarise our selves with it. Also during our time there we would take it in turns to cook in pairs each day.


Our bungalow.



  In our first few races over there I really struggled to get to grips with the European style of racing again. For example when we went to Germany for the Niedersachen Runfahrt 3 Day I only managed a lap and was unable to race the other two days because I didn't meet the time cut. This got me really down and made me think, but I worked out what the problem was. I don't think I was training as much as I could because everyone is different and we all had to do the same training over there. But I think by the time we got to our 5th race at another kemesse in Loenhout, I found my legs again. Frank gave me instructions to try and get in the moves. Early on in the race Ryan got away in a group of 4, the gap was growing. But then there was the panic attacks from the bunch because everyone wants to be at the front of the race. There was a group of about eight riders that rode off the front containing Cormac Clarke and Thomas Fallon, I knew I had to be in it so I jumped across on my own. The group then started to extend the lead on the bunch and we were getting closer to the break. We got within 30 seconds at one point. Then with about 5 laps to go of the 4km circuit, Frank told us to start attacking from the group. So Cormac got himself off the front with a few others. And they extended their lead on us. With 3 laps to we got the bell for our last lap because they were pulling us out. When we came round for the sprint nobody looked like they knew it was the finish, so I opened up my sprint and finished 10th place in front of the rest of the group. I was really happy with this result because I had found my legs a week before the Europeans.


Loenhout.


Loenhout.




















The last week while we were in Zeeland was the busiest. There were people coming in and out of our bungalow. One night, myself and Cormac had to cook for 15 people. One of the highlights of the trip was meeting Neil Martin. Father of Garmin-sharp pro Dan Martin. In the 80's Neil and my Dad rode together on a number of occasions including the Milk race (which is now known as the Tour of Britain) for Great Britain. Having Neil there in Zeeland with us was a massive thing for me. He is an inspirational and motivational figure for me. I had many chats with him, one included him talking about how everyone looks at him as Dan's Dad and not Neil Martin, I said I looked to him as Neil! Through out the time there he was giving me and the lads advise countless times.

On 12th August we woke up on the day of the European Road Race Championships. The biggest race of career so far, I was really excited to get going and soak it all in. We woke up at 6 o'clock to leave at 7 to get there and be ready for the race start at 9:00. When we turned up in the Cycling Ireland Van and we got our camp set up, I started to get ready. Then I pulled on my Cycling Ireland skinsuit. That's when it all sunk in, I was actually at the European Championships representing my country. I was so proud to be in that green and White suit the whole day, I never wanted to take it off!

Once on the start line surrounded by hundreds of Europes best Junior cyclists, the count down started. 5,4,3,2,1.. Go! We were off! 170 riders whizzing down the road into the first corner. Straight away all you could hear was the screeching of brakes and you could smell the carbon! We were flying down the main road into the 3 roundabouts on the circuit, there were riders everywhere. On the footpaths, on the grass, on the roundabout. Then we zoomed through the narrow feed station and straight into the cross winds. This race was the most technical I have ever done. You were centimetres from the riders in front, behind and next to you. The rhythm for the whole race was crash, chase, crash, chase! There were two huge pile ups where about 40 riders hit deck! Thankfully I managed to avoid all the crashes on the day and stayed at the front safely. Coming on to the sea front for the last time with 5km was flat out! It was a tale wind, where all the big teams like the French and the Italians were putting lead out trains together. They were bouncing off each other into the final bend. The sprint was the fastest I've ever done. I finished the race in 50th position, I am pleased with how my first International Championship went. It was a fantastic experience and I am so proud to have represented my country.


After the Europeans.



I would like to say a huge thank you Cycling Ireland for giving me this fantastic opportunity! Also a big thank you to Frank O'Leary, Paddy Fitsimmons, Susan Omara, Tommy McGowan and of course Neil Martin!
Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment