Wednesday 22 August 2012

Junior Tour of Ireland 2012

On the 9th of July, myself and my Mountivation team mates travelled to Ireland for the Junior Tour of Ireland held in Castlebar. The four man squad and our two managers including Gary Sadler and Peter Kay set off bright and early to catch the ferry from Hollyhead. Once on the other side, we met up with our good pal Paddy Fitzsimmons, who very kindly helped us through the week as he did in Gorey. After having a 3 hour drive across the country, we booked into our lodge in Castlebar and jumped into our kit and headed straight out for a spin to losen the legs after a days travel. We looked at the climb of Windy gap, to give our secret weapon (Knoxy) an idea of what he would be facing on the final stage. Not wanting to focus too much yet on the final stage, we headed back to get showered and changed before going out for a meal in Castlebar.

After a good nights sleep we headed to breakfast to get the carbs in for the day ahead. It was the first day of the Tour, starting with a 7km Timetrail. As the TT didn't start until the evening we set out on a recon ride to look at the course for the evenings stage. It was a rolling, wide, open and windy course. A course for the big powerful and strong riders. As we looked at the course, Gary said we had to do a team TT effort to open up the legs and lungs for the evening. This really helped as It gets the body in the pattern of making a big hard effort. Once we had finished our recon, and left the van at the start of the TT to reserve our spot, we headed back to the lodge to get showered, fed and put the feet up.

Stage 1- After pinning numbers on, packing our race bags and putting them in the car, we set off to ride down to the TT. When we got there it was the usual routine of relaxing, warming up, putting oil on the legs and getting in the zone.

Getting in the zone.



Josh was first to go from the team. Having set a new pb just a week before, he was in the tester mode. I was next to go, and as TT's are one of my weak points, it wouldn't be a good start for me. Knoxy was next followed by Tom. When we all got back to the lodge (at different times because there were splits in the team for the TT) we all got showered and got recovery drinks. Josh said he put in a really good time, I said if didn't win or get a podium I would eat my shorts... We later found out that Josh finished 5th, 12 seconds down on the winner Ryan Mullen. I didn't eat my shorts, but a great ride by Joshy!


Joshy in the pain, great ride.



Stage 2 was 105km long with 3 catergorized climbs, starting and finishing in Westport. It would be a good day for Knoxy and Tom. We woke up bright and early to get breakfast in the hotel. As the stage started from Westport and not Castlebar there was a short transfer in the car to the stage.


Ready to set off to the stage start.



Once we got to the start hotel, we signed on as a team and began our race prep. We all got on the turbos to warm up, aswell as get some latic acid out the legs after yesterdays stage. After warming up it was time for the team talk, Josh was to get in the moves as he could move up GC sneakily by getting in a break. Tom and Knoxy had to keep in contention with the favourites and go for the KOM. As the race got underway there was a natural flurry of attacks. Mostly coming from Maxgear as they had 2nd, 6th and 7th after the TT all of them within 15 seconds of the jersey. The yellow jersey did what he could to chase down the dangerous moves. As we got over the first bit of moorland and started the decent, some bad luck came. I punctured and had to get my wheel changed. However, the mechanic was rushing and in doing so bent the rear hanger so my gears wouldn't work. I had to change again, this time my Dad bent the hanger back in place and I set off again. By this point I was over 5 minutes down on the race and had to ride myself back up. However, I would never see the bunch again. I kept riding and came across a group that had been dropped and rode in with them. Meanwhile up in the race, all hell broke lose. The yellow jersey had crashed and Maxgear's Jake Ragan was away in the break riding into the race lead. Hottubes Colin Joyce won the stage while the new yellow jersey (Ragan) finished 3rd. Tom, Knoxy and Josh rolled in the bunch, thankfully stayed out of trouble. I rolled in 26 minutes down, a day to forget for me!

Stage 3 was a 113km stage with two categorised climbs and a hill top finish, starting in Castlebar and finishing in Ballycastle. The plan for the day was to get in the moves and to keep Knoxy and Tom up there on GC. As the race got under way Joshy got himself in the early break with Hugh Carthy of Maxgear. A really good move for us because Josh was still up there on GC and it meant we could sit back and let the other teams chase.

Josh in the break.



Once we got into the crosswinds the big hitters started attacking, Ryan Mullen and Chris Lawless got in a chase group and caught the break. The break was now a really dangerous move, however as we went over the last climb with 5km to go we caught the break!! Except for one.. Hugh Carthy was away on his own going for the stage. He got the victory, it was a bunch sprint for second up the steep climb to the finish. Gibbsons Ryan from Mr Price finished second and our man Knoxy finished 6th! A great day for the team but we all felt bad for Josh as he was away all day and could of been on the podium. We warmed down, got cleaned up then headed back to the lodge in our convoy. We stopped to have another look at the climb of Windy Gap for the last stage. Knoxy proved today he has a real chance.


Knoxy finishing 6th.



Stage 4 was an epic stage of 98km from Achill to Achill. The hardest day of the Tour so far as it had 4 categorised climbs. Before the start we warmed up on the turbo's once again because we knew it was going to go from the gun today.


Warming up.


 The plan for today was to look after Knoxy and Tom in the crosswinds early on and then get them in the moves. In the crosswinds Tom got away in a group off the front and the gap was growing. Knoxy then got away and got across to Tom in the break, an ideal position for the team. The race split up to bits as we went over the third climb of the day, I got in a group with Josh but the unfortunatly Josh suffered from a puncture and lost contact. But once we got over the final climb of the day the bunch came back together which saw Ryan Mullen go again. I had to chase through the convoy to get back on to help my team mates. As we got nearer to the finish, I did a big pull on the front of the bunch but it wasn't enough. Ryan took the stage win and I got second in the bunch sprint finishing 17th. Tom and Knoxy rolled in the bunch while Josh finished 13 minutes down after his puncture.

2nd in the gallop.


Mullen takes the victory.


Stage 5 - A 88km stage with two catergorized climbs, starting and finishing in Castlebar. The day I had been waiting for. Since we knew we were doing the Junior Tour of Ireland, and knew the route, we picked out stage 5 as the stage for me. My Dad and Peter went out and videoed the last 5km to show us a couple of days before. We went out the night before to look at the finish and see which way the wind was coming from. On the morning of the stage we went for breakfast and then myself, Dad and Peter went out in the car to look at the finish again and see which way the wind was coming from. It was a head cross wind from the left. But as it was downhill I knew if it was a sprint I had to sprint on the right side of the road. Once back at the lodge we sat down for the team talk. The plan was for Knoxy and Tom to stay safe but go for the two KOM'S and be thee for the leadout at the end. Joshy had to stay with me the whole day and go for the lead out at the end. Everything went perfect for us! There were attacks all day but everything came back together. Tom hit the front with just under a km to go doing his turn then the Maxgear lads were on the front. 700m to go... I shouted at Josh to go but he was boxed... I knew I had to go now and get my jump in because we are all on the 14 sprocket and they would struggle to come back at me. I jumped, I kept going thinking they were going to come round me... I looked under my shoulder with 30m to go before the line, I knew I had won. I put my hands in the air to celebrate.


A team performance.


Photo finish.





 I was so happy to win for the boys after all their hard work keeping me at the front and out of trouble all day. Seeing their happy smiling faces screaming come towards me after the finish was a big relief for me. We came here wanting this stage and we nailed it. After getting onto the podium I rode back to the lodge and got a shower and had a laugh with the boys. It was only that evening when my Dad and I saw the photo finish of all my team mates going across the line with their hands in the air! A great TEAM performance, that is what the academy is all about.

Stage 6- The final day. The day Knoxy and Tom had been waiting for. Starting in Castlebar and finishing up Windy Gap, the 106km stage went up the Windy Gap twice. The plan for the day was go for the stage win. We had to look after Tom and Knoxy before the first time up the climb. My job was to get in the break, so that once I get over the climb the first time, I am there in the crosswinds for Tom and Knoxy. This didn't go to plan as I missed the break and felt really bad after all the hard work they had put in the day before for me. I'd let them down. I did everything I could for them after that, giving them bottles and taking their gillets. Both myself and Josh got back on after the climb and we were there to shelter the other two in the crosswinds. All we had to do was to get them at the front at the bottom of the climb and our job was done. That's what we did, both of us crawled up the finishing climb crossing our fingers hoping the guys had done it. We crossed the line together hoping the other two had got up there in the finish. We spoke to Dad and Pete and they didn't know how they got on. It wasn't until we got to the lodge and saw the guys that we knew Knoxy got 2nd on the stage and Tom finished 9th. A great result for the team to finish off a great week of racing.


Knoxy takes 2nd up windy gap.



The hard work shows..



We rode superbly as a TEAM and we came away with several top 10s, a 2nd, a stage win and a pocket full of prize money. I would like to say thank you on behalf of my team mates to all our sponsors for making it possible. Without you we wouldn't of been able to do what we did. Also a huge thank you to Gary, Peter and Paddy who put in a huge amount of work over the week to make sure we had everything we needed and make sure we were well rested. And finally Thank you to the organisers of the race. It was a fantastic race to ride and superbly run. We are really looking forward to going back again next year! Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment