Monday 7 October 2013

A new dawn

Well after a successful and action packed season as a second year junior, my 2013 season has come to an end.
Since sitting on the start line in the snow at the Clayton Velo handicap in early February, I have had many ups and downs throughout the year. I have once again added to my tool box with many more skills and tools. I have progressed on to International level which was a big goal of mine at the start of the year. I have learnt so much this year and can’t wait to get going on my preparation for the future.
Happily I have had the opportunity to throw my hands in the air 6 times this year in a Vanilla bikes jersey. I have attended many training camps over on the Emerald Isle preparing for major events, won two stages of the International Junior Tour of Ireland, wore the green point’s jersey, attended a 3 week high performance Cycling Ireland training camp preparing for the track worlds and represented Ireland at the Junior World Track Championships in Glasgow.
I have had very little opportunity to race here in the UK and in many other big races due to attending these camps in Ireland preparing for the track Worlds. However like last year, targeting the longest junior stage race in the world, winning a stage of the Junior Tour of Ireland was a goal of mine right from the start of the season. I am so happy to have won two; I never imagined I'd win the queen stage over 6 categorised climbs either!

Of course none of this would have been possible if I didn't have incredible support from my 2013 sponsor Kev and Tracy at Vanilla Bikes. I've been through 2 bikes this year, but with their incredible selflessness they have provided me with everything I have needed throughout the year. Thank you so much for all you have done for me and thank you for believing in me.
I am incredibly lucky to have such amazing support behind me, from my sponsor, my family, close friends and many others.
So I would like to say thank you to a few people.
A huge thank you to Cycling Ireland for giving me many opportunities this year to wear that green jersey in major International races and allowing me to progress on to international level.
Also a massive thank you to my good pal Paddy Fitzsimmons for his continued support and being a true gentleman and to Paddy’s Bro Christy and his lovely family.
To Dan Curtain and all the Munster staff for giving me a spot on the team for this year’s Junior Tour and for all your support during the Tour.
Thank you so much to Mick Bennett and Neil Martin for mentoring me and looking after me over the last year and putting a different perspective on things. Thank you for having faith in me.
And finally, thank you to my family and close friends for backing me through the ups and downs this year. Most of all to my Mum, Sister, Step Mum Amanda and My old man, Big G. Thank you so much for believing in me and having faith in me. Through those dark, dull days in the winter you help me with the focus and the determination. You have given me those life skills to venture on and strive towards my dreams. Thank you so much for believing in me and having faith in me.
However, I may be talking like I've made it. This is far from the case. This is just the start.

So without further ado, I would like to take the opportunity to say that I am incredibly delighted to announce I will be joining Rapha Condor JLT Continental Professional Cycling Team for the 2014 season.
I am incredibly excited for the up and coming year. I have had three weeks off the bike now and have just started back slowly and steadily with my training. This information will now reveal why I have finished my season so early. On November 20th I will be travelling out to Australia with a few of the guys to complete the second half of my winters training and then joining the rest of the team for my debut in the Bay Crit support races and attending a block of early season, warm weather training.
Not long ago now, I was attending college and working part time cleaning and servicing diggers and fitting in my training around that. Now I am a full time bike rider, riding for the biggest Pro Continental team in the UK. Quite surreal at the moment to say the least!
At Rapha Condor JLT I will be under the wing of respected Ex GB team manager and Ex pro, John Herety. I am delighted to have the opportunity to learn and develop under his management. So ‘cleaning the boots’ of the team and soaking up everything I can to develop not only as a rider but as a person, I am incredibly lucky to have been given this opportunity. However, if, along the way I was given the opportunity to shine, I will seize the day with both hands.
I am really excited for this big change in my career but also in my life style. It's a big step up but I am really looking forward to learning everything I can and progressing year after year.
I will be heading out training soon with local mountain goat and double stage winner and KOM of Junior Tour of Wales this year, James Knox. Knoxy is one of the only National or International standard riders who lives near me, it’s nice to catch up with him and have some company when training. Bit of stem chewing up the Cumbrian passes with Knoxy won't do me any harm!
I am going to try and keep on top of this blogging now, most likely to be monthly. I hope to give a different but interesting perspective on my new experiences and racing with the team next year.

Thank you for reading!




No comments:

Post a Comment