Wednesday 6 November 2013

Wake up Jack!

Every morning I have to pinch myself. I get goose bumps when I look down and see that I am wearing the very kit I’ve grown up watching my heroes in; my heart rate goes up every time I get a text or an email from John Herety. This is what dreams are made of: I’m a man in black!

Last weekend three of my new teammates and I kick-started our preparations for the 2014 season, undergoing Dexa scans at Liverpool University supported by Science in Sport and had a nutritional talk through all our products for 2014.

The Dexa scans showed your total body fat and muscle mass percentages. From the scan each athlete could tell how much weight they could lose/gain from any particular area of their body. It was very educational to see just how finite the changes would be but how they would make a difference in an athlete’s performance. This is what marginal gains are about!

For example, for a cyclist, the scan could reveal how much weight you could lose without losing too much power (the power to weight ratio). This was followed with a coffee and a nutritional talk from Jill at Science in Sport, who ran over all our products for next season. From recovery shakes, to energy bars , to Hydro drinks, it was great to see what will be no doubt be fuelling us to victory next year!

It was a very educational morning, and afterwards I had a meeting with my new coach Ken Matheson. Ken has coached many world-class pros in the past including the GB World Class Performance Program, Charly Wegelius and the Downing brothers.

The meeting with Ken was purely for a chit-chat and to get the ball rolling. Just listening to Ken’s stories and the standard of riders he’s coached was really inspiring and I can’t wait to get going on his training plan! I’m so looking forward to working with him.

I’m incredibly lucky to be surrounded by such experience here at Rapha Condor JLT. John Herety, Tom Southam, Ed Clancy and Kristian House to name just a few. After the meeting with Ken, I took time to chill out with new teammates Mike Cuming (winner of the Tour of Korea this year) and Chris Opie, former UK Youth sprinter who I’ve watched on TV in the Tour series and the Tour of Britain. Again I had to pinch myself!

Just before going home John presented with a hand full of Rapha clothing, a box full of Science In Sport products, a brand new pair of team issue Oakley’s and a brand new pair of S-Works shoes. I’ve never been given so much top quality clothing and equipment & I really appreciate all the support so far from all our sponsors, and of course John Herety. The next day pulling on that Rapha clothing was a very special feeling, and it made me really look forward to getting on that start line for the first time.

It is not long now until myself, Mike, Luke, Will and Felix will be flying out to Australia on 20th November to complete the second half of our winters training. Mike, Luke, Will and I will be stopping in a place of our own whilst Felix has sorted accommodation elsewhere. I’m really looking forward to getting some warm weather training in to kick the season off out there, there are very exciting times ahead!!

When I think about it, I’m entering the world I’ve dreamed of! The world I’ve looked at pictures of on my wall, I’ve watched my heroes on TV in, and the world that I’ve seen when I’ve stood at the side of the road, watching the races. I’m now in that world!

Wake up Jack, its real!


Here are some pictures of the new stuff! Thanks to
http://www.raphacondor.cc/home
http://www.condorcycles.com/
http://www.rapha.cc/
http://www.scienceinsport.com/




























No comments:

Post a Comment